Getting Your PR - Top 10 tips for International Students 2013 (Part Three)

webster By Mark Webster
Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Back in 2009, Acacia created an article on Getting your PR - Top 10 Tips for International Students.

The 2009 article proved to be one of our most popular articles.

However, Migration Regulations have changed significantly since 2009 and so we have created a top 10 list for 2013 to keep you updated on the best tips for getting your Australian PR.

The article is broken into three parts:

8. Employer Sponsorship

Many students find employer sponsorship a good alternative to General Skilled Migration - in general there is no skills assessment requirement, a wider range of occupations (CSOL) and a lower English requirement than General Skilled Migration.

The main options are:

  • 457 Temporary Work (Skilled): this is a 4-year visa which requires a 5 in IELTS and minimum salary of $53,900. Employers need to meet financial and training requirements to be able to sponsor
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS): this is a permanent visa which most 457 visa holders will become eligible for after holding their 457 for two years. It is possible to apply directly for ENS providing you pass skills assessment and have at least 3 years of work experience in your occupation
  • Regional Skilled Migration Scheme (RSMS): this is a permanent visa requiring a job offer in a regional area of Australia. Students can in general qualify directly for this option without needing skills assessment or to first hold a 457 visa.

Many more students are using the employer sponsored options than previously, and the RSMS option is a particularly attractive one for students willing to look for work outside the major capital cities.

9. Get Your Bridging Visa Right

Bridging visas can be a particularly tricky area for international students - getting this wrong can mean that you could end up being in Australia illegally. Below are some of the most important things about bridging visas:
  • Lodging an Expression of Interest does not give you a bridging visa: you do not receive a bridging visa until you have received an invitation and lodge your GSM application
  • Most students will not have enough time to lodge a GSM application prior to expiry of their student visa: as a result, many opt to apply for either a further student visa or a Graduate Temporary visa to maintain their status in Australia whilst they prepare for their GSM application
  • Overseas Travel: overseas travel is possible whilst on a bridging visa. However, you will need to apply for a Bridging B visa prior to your travel. This involves payment of a fee and you will need to explain the reason for your travel.
  • Work Rights: students in general get full work rights on their bridging visas whilst awaiting the outcome of their GSM application.

10. Keep Up To Date

Australian immigration law is constantly changing. The following resources may assist in keeping on top of the changes:
  • SkillSelect Website: updates on EOI invitation rounds
  • Migration Blog: updates on changes to immigration laws
  • ComLaw: migration legislation and updates
  • Procedures Advice Manual: the Department of Immigration's policy manual, not publicly available
  • State Migration Plans: each state and territory government produces a list of occupations in demand in their area.
  • Skills Assessment Authorities: each skills assessment authority has their own criteria. We recommend that you monitor the site for your occupation to pick up any changes

Acacia Immigration provides a number of resources for international students to keep on top of the changes, for instance:


The above information sets out some of the most important factors international students should bear in mind when thinking about applying for permanent residence.

Need Help With Your Visa?

If you would like a personalised assessment of your best pathway, please contact Acacia for a consultation. We will provide you with an immigration roadmap which goes through all your options, costs and processing times so that you know where you stand.

Back to Part One - Getting your PR in Australia

Stay up to date - Subscribe to Immigration News!