Medical Diagnostic Radiographer - ANZSCO 251211
- Operates X-ray and other medical imaging equipment to produce images for medical diagnostic purposes in conjunction with Diagnostic and Interventional Radiologists or other Medical Practitioners. Registration or licensing is required.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Medical Imaging Technologist
- Magnetic Resonance Technologist
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
Group: 2512 Medical Imaging Professionals
- operate X-ray and other radiation producing and imaging equipment for diagnostic, monitoring and treatment purposes under the direction of Radiologists and other Medical Practitioners.
- receiving referrals from Medical Practitioners to perform medical imaging and radiation treatment of patients
- determining the appropriate equipment to use, such as X-ray equipment, radiation scanners, fluoroscopes, ultrasound equipment, nuclear instrumentation, angiography equipment and computed tomography (CT) equipment, and selecting the appropriate equipment settings to provide the diagnostic information requested by Medical Practitioners
- calculating details of procedures such as length and intensity of exposure to radiation, size and strength of dosage of isotopes, and settings of recording equipment
- explaining procedures to patients and answering patients' inquiries about processes
- ensuring patients' welfare during procedures
- positioning patients, screens and equipment preparatory to procedures
- viewing the screen and deciding if images are satisfactory for diagnostic purposes, and selecting images to show Medical Practitioners
- conveying findings of procedures to Medical Practitioners
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.