Agricultural Technician - ANZSCO 311111
- Performs tests and experiments, and provides technical support to assist Agricultural Scientists in areas such as research, production, servicing and marketing.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Agricultural Technical Officer
- Agriculture Laboratory Technician
- Artificial Insemination Technical Officer
- Dairy Technician
- Field Crop Technical Officer
- Herd Tester
- Horticultural Technical Officer
- Skills Assessment Authority
- Not eligible if:
TSS, ENS - The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(7) of the Regulations).
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
Group: 3111 Agricultural Technicians
- perform tests and experiments, and provide technical support to assist Agricultural Scientists in areas such as research, production, servicing and marketing.
- examining topographical, physical and soil characteristics of farmland to determine its most effective use and identify nutrient deficiencies
- assisting in developing new methods of planting, fertilising, harvesting and processing crops to achieve optimum land usage
- identifying pathogenic micro-organisms and insects, parasites, fungi and weeds harmful to crops and livestock, and assisting in devising methods of control
- analysing produce to set and maintain standards of quality
- inspecting livestock to gauge the effectiveness of feed formulae
- assisting in controlled breeding experiments to develop improved crop and livestock strains
- arranging the supply of drugs, vaccines and other chemicals to Farmers and Farm Managers, and giving advice on their use
- collecting and collating data for research
- planning slaughtering, harvesting and other aspects of production processes
- may advise producers on farming techniques and management
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group