Sawmilling Operator - ANZSCO 711313
Sets up and operates machines to cut logs into planks of standard sizes.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Band Saw Operator
- Beam Saw Operator
- Cant Gang Sawyer
- Ripsaw Operator
- Occupation Lists
This occupation is not on the following skills lists:
Group: 7113 Paper and Wood Processing Machine Operators
operate machines to manufacture paper packaging and other paper products, fibreboard stock, logs, plywood, particle board, solid laminate and similar timber products.
- setting up printing plates, ink circulation systems, knives, creases, cutting dies, and folding and gluing machines
- loading machines with paper and fibreboard
- operating machines to form cardboard containers, paper plates, egg cartons, tissue paper and other paper products
- adjusting and cleaning machines and performing minor repairs
- securing timber into place and setting saws to produce specified sizes of plank and board to be cut
- starting machines and feeding stock onto cutting saw, and operating automatic feed mechanisms
- raising and lowering saws to trim boards and remove defects such as rot and splits
- controlling lathes and slicing machines to produce veneers, and laminating veneer using glue
- verifying dimensions of cut stock and accuracy of cuts
- checking saws and other machines for safety, sharpness and correct functioning
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group