NSW Closes State Nominations for Subclass 190 for 2013-14 Year
By Natalya Khodan
Tuesday, 07 January 2014
Applicants who were looking at applying for a Skilled Nominated subclass 190 visa through NSW may consider other visa options, or alternatively wait until 1 July 2014 to make their application for state nomination.
Applications for NSW State Nomination received before 24 December 2013 will continue to be processed. Applications received after this date will be returned without being processed.
Applicants who have not yet obtained a skills assessment may consider continuing with the skills assessment process as this can take several months in some cases. Obtaining a skills assessment will make it possible to apply soon after NSW reopens its state nomination program from 1 July 2014, and secure a place in the 2014-15 financial year.
Other Visa OptionsFor applicants who need to apply for a visa to remain in Australia or who wish to explore other options to obtain their permanent visa, the following suggestions may be appropriate:
- The Skilled Independent subclass 189 is still available for applicants with a score of 60 and does not require state nomination.
- You also may qualify for subclass 485 Graduate Work or Post Study Work visa. This would give you up to 2 years of extra time on your temporary visa to consider more permanent visa options.
- Employer sponsored visas can also be a good option for many applicants.
- Subclass 190 though a different state or government sponsorship. Victoria has relieved new state list which has many new occupations on the list such as Life Scientists and Chemist. Victoria welcomes many PHD student form Australian and well as international graduates.
- You can still apply for 489 NSW regional sponsorship. Places are limited for the 2013-14 Financial Year, and this would result in a 4-year provisional visa only.