General Skilled Migration (GSM)
Skilled SubclassesThere are a variety of skilled migration options:
- Skilled Independent Subclass 189
- Permanent visa option, the skilled independent does not require sponsorship by a relative or state/territory government
- Skilled Nominated Subclass 190
- A permanent visa requiring nomination by an Australian State or Territory government
- Skilled Regional Provisional Subclass 489
- This is a 4-year provisional visa which allows holders to live only in certain areas of Australia. You would need to be sponsored by an Australian relative living in a designated area, or by a state or territory government.
- Skilled Regional Subclass 887
- The Skilled Regional visa is the permanent stage of the Skilled Regional Provisional visa. To qualify for a Skilled Regional visa, you must live in the required region of Australia for 2 years and work full time there for 12 months.
- Graduate Temporary Subclass 485
- The Graduate Temporary visa is a work visa which can be applied for by international students who have completed a qualification taking 2 years of study in Australia.
- Recognised Graduate Subclass 476
- An 18 month work visa for recent engineering graduates
David was an IT professional who ran into difficulties when the rules changed after his application was lodged
Sam's occupation was very unusual, and we also needed to work quickly to get his application in on time.