Skilled Independent Subclass 189 Visa
The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa replaces both the offshore Skilled - Independent Subclass 175 visa
and the onshore Subclass 885 visa.
SkillSelect Only Application
In order to apply for a Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa, you must first lodge an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect
and be invited by the Department of Immigration (DIAC) to apply.
Once you are invited to apply for a skilled visa, you must lodge your application within 60 days, otherwise the invitation lapses.
Accordingly, it is very important that you have all required documentation prepared to lodge as soon as possible after receiving the invitation.
In order to qualify for a Subclass 189 visa, you would need to:
- Lodge an EOI and be invited by DIAC to apply
- Meet the pass mark in the skilled migration points test - currently 60
- Be aged between 18 and 49 inclusive
- Pass Skills Assessment in an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupations List
- Have Competent English or higher (6 minimum in IELTS or holder of approved passports)
- Meet health and character requirements
This option does not
require sponsorship by a relative or State/Territory Government.
Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?
You can either be in Australia or overseas when you apply for a Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa.
In order to lodge from within Australia, you would need to hold a substantive visa or a Bridging A, B or C visa.
Once you apply from within Australia, you would receive a bridging visa allowing you to remain in Australia during processing of your visa application.
Including Family Members
You can include the following types of family members in your application:
- Spouses, defacto partners and same-sex partners
- Dependent children
- Other dependent family members - eg parents who live with you and are financially dependent
It is possible to include partners and dependent children after lodgement of the application, but other dependent family members must be included at lodgement.
Duration and Conditions
The visa is a permanent visa, allowing applicants to remain in Australia indefinitely with full work rights.
If you are outside Australia when the visa is granted, you and your family members will need to enter Australia for the first time prior to expiry of your health and police clearances.
Acacia has significant expertise in handling general skilled visa applications, and can help you with:
- Getting your skills assessed
- Coming up with strategies to maximise your points score
- Lodging visa applications within tight deadlines
- Managing your bridging visas
- Getting results with minimum stress and worry for you
Please contact us
if you would like assistance with your Skilled Independent visa application.