Points for Specialist Educational Qualifications

For the general skilled migration points test, you can obtain 5 points if you have met the requirements for the award of a "specialist educational qualification".

You would need to have completed either a:

  • Masters degree by research (as opposed to a Masters by coursework); or
  • Doctoral degree (PhD)

The qualification must have included study of at least 2 academic years in Australia and be awarded by an Australian educational institution.

The qualification must be in a field specified by the Department of Immigration. This currently covers "STEM" specialisations (ie Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and Information and Communication Technology (ICT).

The "specialist education" fields are defined follows:

Broad Field of Education Narrow Field of Education
Natural and Physical Sciences Biological Sciences
Chemical Sciences
Earth Sciences
Mathematical Sciences
Natural and Physical Sciences
Other Natural and Physical Sciences
Physics and Astronomy
Information Technology Computer Science
Information Systems
Information Technology
Other Information Technology
Engineering and Related Technologies Aerospace Engineering and Technology
Civil Engineering
Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Technology
Engineering and Related Technologies
Geomatic Engineering
Manufacturing Engineering and Technology
Maritime Engineering and Technology
Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Technology
Other Engineering and Related Technologies
Process and Resources Engineering

If you would like assistance in applying for General Skilled Migration, you may wish to book an appointment with one of our advisors. They can assess your likely eligibility and give you advice in writing about the migration pathways which may be appropriate to your situation.

Stay up to date - Subscribe to Immigration News!