Standard Business Sponsorship Approval
In order to sponsor employees for the TSS (subclass 482) visas, most businesses need to be approved as a Standard Business Sponsor.
Standard Business Sponsorship Requirements
To obtain this approval, there are a number of important hurdles which must be met:
- There is a properly established business structure - such as a company, trust, partnership or registered business name; and
- The business must be in a sound financial position
If a company is or has been a business sponsor, details of their training expenditure for the period of sponsorship approval may also be required. Businesses not operating in Australia are exempt from this requirement
Sponsorship Period of Validity
Once obtained Sponsorship approval is generally valid for 5 years. However, there are a number of exceptions to this:
- Recently Established Businesses: if a business has been established for less than 12 months, then the business sponsorship approval, as well as any 457 visas granted, will be valid for a maximum of 18 months.
- Accredited Sponsors: high volume sponsors can apply to become accredited sponsors. In this case, the sponsorship is valid for a period of 6 years
Many businesses struggle to obtain approval as a standard business sponsor - issues can be encountered where:
- The business is a startup or has only recently been established
- A large number of overseas employees are already working for the business
- There is no documentation on training activities for the business
- The business has operating losses or has a weak balance sheet
Acacia Immigration has a long track record of assisting businesses to obtain approval for this critical part of the application process. We can advise you on which documents are needed to get your business approved as a sponsor - meaning you receive your approval much quicker and with less effort and stress.
Please call our Advisors on +61 2 9230 0888 to ask how Acacia can assist you with becoming an approved Standard Business Sponsor.