Staying in or returning to Australia after your Study Abroad program finishes

There are a number of visa options for students completing their study abroad program in Australia.

Below are the most common options taken up by study abroad students, but everyone's case is different and there might be a different visa which suits you better.

Please contact our office if you wish to book an appointment to discuss your options fully, and receive your Immigration Roadmap.

Work and Holiday Visa

This is a 12-month visa which allows you to work full time in Australia. You can only work for each employer for a maximum of 6 months, and you need to be outside Australia when you apply for the visa. You can apply online for the visa.

Student Visa

If you wish to study further, you can apply for a student visa. This will allow you to stay in Australia for the duration of the course. You can work for 20 hours per week during semester and full time in semester break. You can apply online for a further student visa whilst you are in Australia.

If you complete a course taking at least 2 years of study in Australia you might be eligible for permanent residence through the general skilled migration program (GSM).

Business Sponsorship

This option would require you to have a job offer with an employer willing to sponsor you.

You would need to be paid at least $53,900 to qualify for the visa, but the salary level might need to be higher depending on the market rate for the position. You would generally need to have a degree or at least 5 years of work experience to meet the skill level for most positions.

In most cases, you would initially apply for a 4-year visa. However, you may be eligible to then apply for permanent residence through the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) after 2 years.

Partner Migration

You would meet the basic requirements for a partner visa if you are either:
  • Married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident; or
  • Have registered your relationship with an Australian State or Territory Government; or
  • Have lived with an Australian citizen or permanent resident partner for the last 12 months (known as a defacto relationship)
You would usually be granted a temporary partner visa in the first instance, then become eligible for permanent residence 2 years later. You would need to provide evidence that you are still with your partner 2 years after lodgement to be granted a permanent visa.

More Information

I hope that this gives you a broad idea of the options available to you. Good luck with your studies and feel fee to contact us if you would like further assistance.

Mark Webster
CEO, Acacia Immigration Australia Pty Ltd.

Stay up to date - Subscribe to Immigration News!