Subclass 462 Work and Holiday Visa

The work and holiday subclass 462 visa is similar to the working holiday subclass 417 visa. The main differences are that different countries are eligible, quotas apply for most countries, and the seasonal work extension is not available.

Visa Criteria

  1. You must hold a passport from one of the following countries:
    Argentina FlagArgentina
    Bangladesh FlagBangladesh
    Chile FlagChile
    China Flag China
    Ecuador FlagEcuador
    Greece Flag Greece
    Hungary Flag Hungary
    Indonesia FlagIndonesia
    Israel FlagIsrael
    Luxembourg FlagLuxembourg
    Malaysia FlagMalaysia
    Peru FlagPeru
    Poland FlagPoland
    Portugal FlagPortugal
    San Marino FlagSan Marino
    Singapore FlagSingapore
    Slovak Republic FlagSlovak Republic
    Slovenia FlagSlovenia
    Spain FlagSpain
    Thailand FlagThailand
    Turkey FlagTurkey
    USA  FlagUSA
    Uruguay FlagUruguay
    Vietnam FlagVietnam

  2. Aged between 18 and 30 inclusive. From 1 July 2017, it is possible to be up to 35 years old if there is a reciprocal agreement between Australia and the passport country to this effect.

  3. Single or married without children

  4. You will need to show that:
    • Your main reason for coming to Australia is for a holiday, and any work you do is to suppport yourself whilst on holiday
    • You have a good chance of finding temporary work to supplement your holiday funds
    • You have a return ticket or sufficient funds for a return fare and the first part of your stay; and
    • You intend to leave Australia at the end of your authorised stay

How do I apply?

You must apply for a working holiday visa from outside Australia. In particular, you can't come to Australia on a visitor/tourist visa and then apply for a working holiday visa.

Most nationals can lodge electronically via the Immigration website.

Visa Conditions

  • The visa allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months, starting from the date of initial entry to Australia.
  • You may leave and reenter Australia any number of times during this 12 month period
  • You can study or train in Australia for up to 4 months
  • You are permitted to work in Australia, but you cannot work for longer than 6 months with any one employer
More information on visa conditions is on our working holiday conditions page.

Stay up to date - Subscribe to Immigration News!